Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB)
- Work permit / residence permit
- Duty-free certificate (diplomats)
- Immigration arrival card (completed upon arrival)
- Expatriates must be working for a registered company and hold a valid work permit / residence
- One air and one sea shipment only can be imported duty free but duty will be levied on new items or
items deemed in excessive quantities for personal needs.
- Shipments should arrive within 3 months of the date of issue of the work permit / residence permit.
- The owner of the goods must be present to sign a statutory declaration in front of a Commissioner of
Oaths in Papua New Guinea.
- Any new items must be declared and will be dutiable.
- All shipments are inspected by both Customs and the Quarantine Department and are subject to
- Shipments may be subject to be off-loaded into a bonded warehouse in the port area.
- Shipments can only be released after both Customs and Quarantine have approved its release.
- All criteria the entire shipment will be subject to import duty at varying rates.
- Diplomats are required to obtain a duty-free certificate issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
and UN/NGO/AID employees to obtain the same certificate by their sponsoring government department.
- All shipments must be ISPM15 compliant or additional quarantine charges may apply.
- Sea shipments take up to 30 days to clear and air shipments up to 10 days.
- High demurrage may apply.
- Household goods and personal effects should be shipped separately from commercial goods.
- There is no restriction on the import of used vehicles.
- All motor vehicles are subject to import duties and taxes as follows:
- Smaller than 2700
Duties 60% GST 10%
- Larger than 2700
Duties 110% GST 10%
- Buses, vans, passenger vans Duties 10% GST 10%
- Vaccination record
- Veterinary health record
- The import of pets is subject to approval by the Chief Quarantine Officer.
- Pets may enter as cargo only.
- The quarantine period for dogs and cats arriving from Australia and New Zealand is 48 hours.
- The quarantine period from countries from other countries is 9 months.
- Alcohol (up to 1 L for persons 18 years and older)
- Cigarettes (260), cigars (250 g), tobacco (250 g) for persons 18 years and older
- Pornographic materials
- Firearms and ammunition
- Gambling instruments
- Subversive or offensive literature
- Agricultural products
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been
met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Movguru note: These policies can change as per customs regulations at
any time without notice. Treat this document as informative guide. Movguru has published this document
as guide only for information purpose on its sole discretion and holds no depiction of expressing or
inferred to the precision or applicability of its content.