Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport
- Letter of employment
- Work permit
- Lease / purchase contract (new and previous residences)
- Detailed inventory (2 copies)
- Bewijs van aanmelding
- Aangifte – Douane 39 form (diplomats)
- Completed Netherlands application
- List of items which client will take to the Netherlands (inventory list)
- Copy of the registration at town/city hall where the shipper will live (document must mention the
country the shipper is moving from).
- When client does not have his town/city hall registration yet, client may also submit a proof of
deregistration from the country of origin. Please also supply one of the following documents:
- Copy of a work contract or declaration from the employer confirming the period of working for them
abroad and will now be working for them in the Netherlands as from …… (date),
- Copy of a rental agreement or purchase contract of the residence in the Netherlands. This may not
be older than 6 months.
- The “Bewijs van aanmelding” is the certificate from the population register of the municipality
showing owner of the goods’ intent to reside in the Netherlands
- The Netherlands application is a required form that must be filled out to be able to move to the
- All fumigated containers arriving in the port of Rotterdam or Antwerp with an excessive
concentration of gas will be removed from the logistic transport chain.
- Delays may take several months before the container is released.
- High costs may be incurred due to any delays.
- The following conditions must apply for the duty-free import of the household effects shipment:
- The permanent residence of the owner of the goods must be the Netherlands or another European
Union member country.
- The previous permanent residence of the owner of the goods situated outside of the European
Union for at least 12 months.
- All goods have been used as part of the normal household of the owner of the goods and will be
used for the same purpose.
- All goods have been in the owner of the goods’ possession for at least 6 months and have been
used during that time.
- The goods will be imported into the Netherlands within 12 months after registration.
- The goods will not be sold, rented off or given away within 12 months after registration in the
- Owners of the goods must apply to Customs for the exemption in the import declaration.
- The following documents are required:
- A signed inventory listing all of the personal goods in the shipment.
- The certificate of registration in the personal records database of the municipality in the
- Must certify that the date on which the owner of the goods has established in the
Netherlands or another country within the European Union.
- Owner of the goods can also send comparable documentary evidence demonstrating that this
is the case.
- Employment contract
- Employer statement
- Work permit
- Rental contract or mortgage certificate for new place of residence
All containers arriving in the Port of Rotterdam with an excessive concentration of gas will be
taken out from the logistic transport chain. (Methyl bromide is mostly used toxic gas).
According to the Ministry one may expect delays running up to several months before a fumigated
container finally will be released to the consignee. Obviously high costs will be involved if a
container has an excessive concentration of gas.
- Certificate of title / registration
- Purchase invoice or other proof of ownership
- Original bill of lading
- Certificate of residence
- Copy of foreign insurance certificate or proof of insurance
- Consideration for an application for free entry of motor vehicles is 4 to 6 weeks
- A separate application for any tax exemption must be completed if not imported with the household
- A technical inspection as well as registration is required at the RDW after Customs clearance.
- Vaccination record
- Veterinary health certificate
- The veterinary health certificate must be signed by an authorized veterinarian within 8 days of
- The vaccination record must be signed at least 31 days prior to departure but not longer than 12
months prior to import.
Wedding Trousseau / Gifts
- Inventory in 2 copies.
- Marriage certificate.
- Certificate of residence.
- Exemption of duties form.
- Hunting and shooting firearms require a permit issued by the Dutch authoritie
- To import medicines, a manufacturing license issued by the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport
- Medications must be for personal use.
- Owners of the goods should request a medical passport from a general practitioner to verify the
personal use of the medication.
- Plants / flowers / fruits / vegetables:
- These items resquire a phytosanitary certificate from the country of origin declaring the items
healthy and free from diseases.
- If a phytosanitary certificate is unavailable, Customs will confiscate the items.
- Animal Products / Food Items:
- A health certificate is required for the import of these items, including but not limited to,
cheese, milk, eggs, meat, meat products, animal skins, and hunting trophies.
- The health certificate must be issued by the authorities of the origin country at the time the
goods are imported.
- All animal products and food items are subject to veterinary examination upon arrival.
- Goods of animal origin, including food items, are subject to special requirements.
- Contact the destination for specific information and exceptions.
- Powdered milk, baby food, and special food items for medical purposed may be imported provided
the following requirements are met:
- The products do not need to be chilled prior to consumption.
- The products are packaged products of a registered trademark.
- The packaging should be unopened and undamaged.
- An exemption from the required health certificate applies to products in which an animal
ingredient is no longer identifiable (e.g., chocolate, etc.).
- Contact the Dutch Embassy in the origin country if you need assistance.
- Weapons (toy and imitation) and ammunition (strike, thrust or stabbing weapons; gas pistols, alarm
pistols, pepper sprays, etc.)
- Alcohol / Cigarettes / Tobacco
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been
met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Movguru note: These policies can change as per customs regulations at
any time without notice. Treat this document as informative guide. Movguru has published this document
as guide only for information purpose on its sole discretion and holds no depiction of expressing or
inferred to the precision or applicability of its content.