Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport (identification pages and passport translation page in Arabic)
- Packing list
- Entrance visa / work permit (foreigners, diplomats)
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Telex release / air waybill (AWB)
- Letter of employment (foreigners)
- Statistics code (provided by Libyan employer) (foreigners)
- Letter from the Libyan Consulate / letter of employment (returning citizens)
- Diplomatic franchise from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (diplomats)
- The Customs clearance procedures can last from 7-10 days (foreigners) / 10-14 days (diplomats).
- The owner of the goods does not need to be present for Customs clearance.
- A letter from the Libyan Consulate is required for returning citizens, detailing the owner of the
goods’ organization abroad; however, if the entity employing the owner of the goods has a branch in
Libya, a letter from the employing branch is acceptable for re-entry.
- The owner of the goods’ import documents should be ready prior to shipment arrival at the port /
airport of entry to minimize port charges.
- Duties of approximately 10% may apply on shipments above the Customs estimate; however, diplomats
- Returning citizens cannot import vehicles older than 5 years of manufacture.
- For returning citizens 10% duty is applicable after the Customs estimation process.
- For foreigners, 25% of the value of the vehicle is paid as a deposit and a temporary regime is
- The deposit is refunded after the foreigner’s final departure.
- Vaccination record
- Veterinary health certificate (2 copies)
- The documents must accompany pets entering Libya.
- Plants and plant products (a plant quarantine certificate is required)
- Insecticides (a permit obtained from the Secretariat of Agriculture and Agrarian Reform’s Plant
Protection Department is required)
- Pornographic materials
- Counterfeit items
- Explosive materials
- Alcohol and spirits
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been
met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Movguru note: These policies can change as per customs regulations at
any time without notice. Treat this document as informative guide. Movguru has published this document
as guide only for information purpose on its sole discretion and holds no depiction of expressing or
inferred to the precision or applicability of its content.