Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport showing national identification (ID) / residence permit showing time abroad for a
minimum of 12 months (returning citizens)
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB)
- Registration certificate (foreigners seeking exemption)
- Packing list
- Authorization letter
- Tax ID No. from the local Jordanian income tax department
- Owner of the goods must be present at the time of clearance at Amman Customs.
- For returning nationals:
- Documents other than the residence permit that may prove time abroad include:
- Original passport that carries the residency abroad
- Original passport that carries the entry stamp in to Jordan
- Family marriage book (married / families)
- Lease agreement / certificate of ownership certified by the Greater Amman Municipality
- For foreigners, if the name of the owner of the goods is on the office registration certificate at
the Ministry of Trade and Commerce (usually the person is the acting manager with signature
authority), then the goods are exempt from Customs duties.
- Again, the exemption applies if the household goods and personal effects are used and not
- If the owner of the goods’ name is not mentioned on the office registration certificate, but is
an employee of a company, then a request from Customs, along with the shipping document and
packing list requesting approval to exempt the shipment from Customs duties and taxes.
- Diplomats must be in Jordan prior to arrival of the shipment and must register with the Ministry of
Foreign Affairs through their Embassy for approval to import household goods and motor vehicles duty
- A returning Jordanian is not exempted from Customs, Duties, & Taxes for shipments coming from
the same country more than once, regardless of how many years have passed since he/she used his/her
- Temporary entry permit
- Vehicle registration / title
- Passenger vehicles operating on diesel are not allowed in Jordan.
- Vehicles older than 5 years are not allowed for permanent entry.
- Tinted windows are not allowed for permanent entry.
- Returning citizens or foreigners with valid license plates may obtain a temporary entry permit under
the following conditions:
- The temporary entry permit is required for vehicle clearance and permits the shipper to drive
using its origin country license plates and registration for 3 months; the permit is renewable for
3 additional months.
- The vehicle must be licensed in the country of origin and carrying metal plates.
- The registration with the department of motor vehicles must be valid for at least 6 months.
- After 6 months, the vehicle must be transported to the Zarqa Free Zone where the owner of the goods
must pay duties and obtain Jordanian license plates, re-export the vehicle out of Jordan or sell it
- To obtain permanent entry, the following conditions must be met:
- Used vehicles into Jordan must be transported to the Zarqa Free Zone in order to be tested by
the Bureau to determine eligibility to enter the country as per specifications of the Jordanian
Bureau of Motor Vehicles and Licensing.
- Vehicles must pass a test; otherwise, recommended modifications / alterations must be made by
the Bureau to meet required country specifications.
- The owner of the vehicle is responsible for all costs, including transport from the point of
entry (POE) to the Zarqa Free Zone under a bank guarantee of the freight forwarding / clearing
- Once the vehicle is tested and approved, the clearing agent will arrange to clear the
vehicle from the Free Zone Customs for licensing before it is delivered to the owner of the
- Vehicles of diplomatic organizations in the country are exempted from paying Customs duties and
taxes; the exemption must be applied for through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Diplomats).
- Vehicles imported under temporary entry must be guaranteed by the office through posting a bank
guarantee with the Directorate of Customs Department in the amount of the exact Customs duties and
- Once the vehicles are re-exported out of the country, an application must be made by the
regional office accompanied with the finalized re-export Customs form to the Directorate to cancel
and return the bank guarantee in order to close the official files under which the vehicle was
entered into the country.
- Vaccination record
- Veterinary health certificate
- Permission is required for the import of birds by the Jordanian Ministry of Agriculture.
- Weapons (permission from the Ministry of the Interior / Public Security Directorate is required)
- Firearms and ammunition (permission from the Ministry of the Interior / Public Security Directorate
- Fresh meat and milk products (a permit from the Ministry of Agriculture is required)
- Fresh fruit and vegetables (permission from the Agricultural Marketing Corporation is required)
- Weapons & ammunition
- Drugs & narcotics
- Alcohol (2L)
- Wireless equipment (approval from the Telecommunications Regulatory Commission is required):
- Israeli currency
- All video tapes, cassettes, CD’s & printed materials (subject to inspection by the Department of
- Counterfeit goods
- Pornographic materials
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met
prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Movguru note: These policies can change as per customs regulations at
any time without notice. Treat this document as informative guide. Movguru has published this document
as guide only for information purpose on its sole discretion and holds no depiction of expressing or
inferred to the precision or applicability of its content.