Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport entry stamp in Ivory Coast
- Packing list in French
- Original detailed and valued inventory in French, dated, and signed by the owner of the goods
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB).
- Bordereau de suivi de cargaison / cargo tracking note
- Diplomatic card issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Ivory Coast
- Diplomatic franchise (exemption certificate)
- Original move certificate delivered at origin by city or consulate in the country of departure
- Copy of residency card / work permit
- Letter of employment in Ivory Coast (in French) certifying starting date and position
- Certificate of filiation / etat de filiation (document from the owner of the goods giving details
on: parents, name, date of birth, and address)
- Import taxes apply on HHG items at 1% CIF value + EUR 30 per shipment for non-diplomats.
- If telex/express release expect additional release fees (+/- USD 100)
- Diplomats still pay minimum tax EUR 30 per shipment (double if HHG & POV)
- Diplomatic franchise must be applied for by the diplomatic organization employing the owner of the
- Process usually takes 2-3 weeks.
- OBL and diplomatic card are necessary for this process.
- The franchise is issued by the MFA and needs to be endorsed by Customs head office before being
- Owner of the goods must register with Internal Revenue Services, which takes approximately 3 days to
provide with a tax identification number used only for importation of HHG.
- Tax payer identification numbers are not required for diplomats as long as their
embassy/organization has a permanent one.
- Non-diplomatic sea shipments are subject to Customs scanner and inspection.
- Additional fees than expected (approx USD 500/TEU).
- Electrical items will be considered new if invoices are not provided.
- Import duties and taxes apply to new items at approximately 44% CIF value.
- Sea shipments take within 7-15 business days to arrive providing all requested documents have been
submitted prior to shipment arrival.
- Air shipments take within 5-10 business days to arrive providing all requested documents have been
submitted prior to shipment arrival.
- Original registration card
- OBL (showing net weight of car and 17 characters chassis number)
- Purchase invoice (if new)
- Vehicles older than 7 years cannot be imported without additional taxes and penalties.
- Vehicles for non-diplomats should not be sent in the same container as the household goods and
personal effects (expect then 4-6 weeks clearance delays and additional charges)
- Customs duties & taxes at approx. 44% CIF value
- Other expected extra charges: “CIL & Vignette” fees (EUR 200-500 per vehicle).
- Vaccination record
- Veterinary health certificate
- Import permit
- Documents must be issued from country of origin prior to entry and wait for import permit to be made
- Firearms and ammunition (authorization from the territorial administration is required)
- The following items may qualify for free import within the limits indicated:
- Cigarettes (200), cigars (25), cigarillos (100)
- Tobacco (250 g)
- Wine and spirits (1 bottle)
- Perfume (250 ml)
IAM Note: It is advisable to avoid food / new items in air shipments, and large
quantities of food / new items in non-diplomatic sea shipments.
- Illegal drugs
- Pornographic materials
- Plants and plant materials
- Counterfeit items
- Subversive materials
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met
prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Movguru note: These policies can change as per customs regulations at
any time without notice. Treat this document as informative guide. Movguru has published this document
as guide only for information purpose on its sole discretion and holds no depiction of expressing or
inferred to the precision or applicability of its content.