Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Original passport with entry stamp (and 1 copy of complete passport)
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB) - 2 originals of each
- Original packing list in English or Spanish
- Delivery and billing instruction including insurance information
- Tributary Identification Number (NIT) card / RTU (Guatemalans, expatriates)
- Copy of duty free exemption (diplomats)
- Original bill of lading must be valued
- Antiques, artifacts, carpets, and paintings are permitted if declared as part of the household goods
shipment in reasonable quantities and indicated on the packing list.
- The Tributary Identification Number (NIT) is a personal identification number the owner of the goods
must obtain from the Finance Ministry in Guatemala or Superintendencia de Administration Tributaria
- An alternative to the NIT card is the RTU. The RTU is still the tax ID the difference is that
the RTU is two sheets of paper that show the date the tax ID was actualized and printed.
- Owners of the goods are required to obtain an application form for the Tributary Identification
Number (NIT); if no personal address in Guatemala, an employer address may be used (Guatemalans,
- It can take from 1 hour to 1 day to receive the Tributary Identification Number (NIT) card number.
- A copy of the passport and the Tributary Identification Number (NIT) card are needed for Customs
- The address on the Tributary Identification Number (NIT) card must match the name used on the
original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB) or cargo manifest, or the shipment cannot be
- Car condition report
- Original bill of lading (OBL)
- Original vehicle commercial invoice
- Original vehicle title / registration / proof of ownership
- Original receipts of payment, transfer, check submitted, etc.
- The original bill of lading (OBL) must include the following information regarding the vehicle
- Number of chassis
- Engine number
- Number of doors
- Number of cylinders
- Vehicle identification number (VIN)
- Fuel type
- Cubic centers (cc)
- If documents required are unavailable or incomplete, the owner of the goods will be charged
USD150.00 for an inspection.
- New Government regulations allow the import of any vehicle that is 10 years of age or older.
- Original Invoice
- Original air waybill
- Vaccination certificate
- Veterinary health certificate
- The pet must arrive at the beginning of the week to avoid weekends in Customs care; the flight must
arrive in the morning.
- Pets are subject to the payment of duties.
- The veterinary health certificate must be issued in the origin country and dated within 30 days
prior to arrival.
- An electronic copy of the documents must be sent to the agent to obtain the veterinary health
certificate; it takes approximately 3 business days.
- Firearms (authorization by the Ministry of Defense and special permit is required)
- Alcohol / wine (permission from the Health Ministry is required and a maximum of 6 bottles are
- An original commercial invoice and certificate of origin are required.
- Food items (2 kgs)
- Pornographic materials
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met
prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Movguru note: These policies can change as per customs regulations at
any time without notice. Treat this document as informative guide. Movguru has published this document
as guide only for information purpose on its sole discretion and holds no depiction of expressing or
inferred to the precision or applicability of its content.